Be The Positive

Be The Positive
"Be The Change You Want to See In The World" I want to be a positive change. I will Be The Positive!

August 10, 2014

Social Media


 I have found Social Media a GREAT place to keep in touch with friends, use for networking, and follow promotions from businesses.  I have also seen a lot of attacking and bullying.  I realize that everyone has a right to their opinion, and are allowed to express it.  I do not want to come off as ignorant or intolerant.
I follow our local news channels & newspapers on Facebook.  They often share a piece of news and ask for people to share their opinions in the comments.  I do think it is wonderful that we can create these discussions.  But I often find myself getting emotional or worked up about some of the comments.  I don’t want to be that person, so I have to stop reading.  A lot of people share their opinion, without really understanding the topic.  Others may be knowledgeable, and attack people.
I started following some of the pageant systems on Facebook and through blogs.  I enjoy sending notes of congratulations and Thanks.  I am surprised at the comments that are left belittling those who are in the posts or making personal attacks.  If you are so against that person or what they are doing, why are you following it?  How does your hateful comment make you any better than what you are attacking?  Same goes for some of the religious pages I follow.  I understand religion is a controversial topic.  But why must we feel the need to bring others down?  Tell me why your beliefs are right, not why others are wrong.
Does it make you look better when you make someone else feel bad?  We all know the answer is NO!  We’ve been taught this from a very young age.  It is called bullying.  If you are happy for someone or something, say so.  If you aren’t, do you need be rude?  That’s where the rule- If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all- comes into play.  It isn’t necessary to attack, disrespect, or belittle someone or their cause.  You can have an opinion about a subject, without disrespecting others.
So… There are two points to this post.  One- When we share our opinions, let’s try to do it in an objective way, without being ignorant or attacking.  And Two- when we read other’s opinions try not to judge and be personally offended.  Rise above the rudeness, walk away from it, turn it off.
It is my opinion that we need to fill ourselves and others with as much positive as we can.  Who knows?  That positive feedback may come back to uplift and better you.

No comments: