Be The Positive

Be The Positive
"Be The Change You Want to See In The World" I want to be a positive change. I will Be The Positive!

September 3, 2014

Belly Dance !?!

I LOVE to try new things.  It helps me gain a new perspective, create a new hobby, and learn something new.  It can be frustrating and challenging.  That is why I do it, to challenge myself and challenge my positive point of view.  

I started taking a Belly Dance class about 8 months ago.  It is so fun, challenging, and engaging.  I am definitely a beginner.  But so is everyone else in the class.  We are busy watching our own feet and trying to learn something new.  We don't to care about what other's think.  The class is so liberating.  

Our instructor, Katisha, teaches us to keep trying, feel the dance.  Our bodies and brains aren't working together with all the moves, but she is so encouraging and helpful.  We keep trying.  She goes over the moves and counts as many times as we need.  She teaches us some of the history and culture of the differences in dance.  It so fun to learn how different cultures have interpreted this form of dance.  

I love the environment in the class.  We are all women trying something new, encouraging one another, laughing together (not at each other), and discovering a new sense of our female side.  It is so exhilarating when we learn new dance moves or try dancing with a veil, or finger symbols.  We are doing something bigger than ourselves and finding a new world.

If you know me, you know the following pictures are awkward for me to post.  If you don't know me- I am a very modest person.  I don't like to show a lot of skin or wear skimpy things.  I do hope you can appreciate the costume as much as I did.



This is a traditional costume, Katisha brought for me to try on.  I appreciate being able to put the costume on.  It lit a fire inside.  I couldn't stop smiling.  While learning the dance moves and trying the finger symbols, I felt like the dance was part of me.  I was doing it!  We did some veil dance, and I flowed through the room.  Katisha could see it.  Putting on the costume, really brought the dance to life for me.


This is my instructor Katisha.  She is beautiful inside and out.  She has been dancing since she was 14, if I remember correctly.  She was born in Istanbul, Turkey.  She is currently taking more Belly Dance lessons and is part of a performing group.  She is very knowledgeable about Belly Dance, the history & cultures, and the Belly Dance culture in our own community.

I look forward to Wednesday mornings.  It is such a great opportunity to break away from daily tasks and learn something new.  I go find a new energy, positive outlook, and a renewed sense of self.  I encourage all of you to look up a local belly dance class.  Come to Idaho Athletic in Eagle and join us!  If it's not Belly Dance, find something new, something you've always wanted to try.  You may find something positive out of it.

1 comment:

Candise T. said...

What a fun thing to try! How brave of you to step out of your comfort zone to try on the costume & then post the pic! Thanks for the encouragement.